Saturday, September 3, 2011

Smackdown Saturday: Buying a Dog Pet Store v. Craigslist

Alright so this is a little unconventional for Smack Down, but hey there has only been one other Smack Down so I guess not...

Because I live all alone in a one bedroom apartment I so times feel a little lonely. The house always seems so empty and quiet. One day I was sitting back taking in the lonesome when I decided on the perfect noisy annoying purchase I could make to fix my problem: a new puppy.

My first recourse as a 23 year old was to go check out Craigslist, but due to circumstances out of my control I ended up Purchasing from Petland (read on if you think I was fooled into buying from a puppy mill...if you are a hippie and know what that is...or you know, informed.)

That's me your Editor and Chief and my new pup: Wonton




First up: Price

Here we have a clear and easy winner. Craigslist can go as cheap as oh I'd say $0.00, but you are usually charged a "rehoming" fee. It exists to make sure the buyer is serious, and not some crazy person who wants puppy soup. It also exist so Mike Vick wannabes can charge for their inbred Pitbulls. My dog from Petland cost a little over $1,000...on sale. I did get a lot for that aside from Wonton, but still a pretty penny. Small dogs tend to cost between $1,000 and $1,600 while larger ones will go down to the high 500's. So if you are rich enough to afford a house, I guess you can pay for a cheaper dog. Good system.

Product:

With Craigslist you have no way to tell an inbreed from an AKC champion. Most pet stores will tell you the "breeder" your dog came from. I put breeder in quotes because some breeders are really just Puppy Mills. You can buy from a puppy mill if you want, and you could have voted for Hitler. These places endorse such fine practices as drowning newborn puppies. I got quite a package deal for my puppy purchase from Petland. I got all the shots, a few free vet visits, a membership to the AKC, and they include surgical birth control (Spayed or neutered). They also inserted a microchip into the little guy that will tell any one that picks him up that he is mine. I also got my breeders name and checked them out so I knew he wouldn't carry the emotional scars of watching his siblings being drowned. Basically I got an emotionally, medically, and insurance covered pup. Also, peace of mind.

Buying experience:

I attempted to buy a cute little puppy from a fellow named Jourdan on Craigslist. We made all the arrangements, and I had even withdrawn the cash from the ATM. The dog was cute as a button and came with almost everything I need, but there was one problem: Jourdan decided not to show up. I can only guess he cancelled on me to sell to a higher bidder. Spent 3 hours waiting. Am I mad? No. There is also the downside that you can't really check out a dog on Craiglists before hand. I was able to spend as much time as I wanted making sure Wonton was the one in a private little room before I committed to buy. It took about 30 seconds. Puppies, am I right? Another downside to craigslist was that 99.9% of the dog available were Pitbulls. I am not a fan. If you want to dog fight Craigslist is your place. Petland had an awesome selection of pups. I had seen one earlier in the day I loved, but when I came back in I noticed Wonton. I really loved them all. I mean they're puppies.

Final Verdict:

Although it left regret in my wallet I am happy about everything else with Petland. I know my dog is up to date on shots. I can go to American Kennel Club events, and there are plenty. Wonton is covered for life on any genetic medical problems so I know he is covered from defect. The staff was so excited that I was taking him home with me. I know it's probably half commission and half actually caring, but it really did keep me excited. I was also relieved to know I didn't have to do through setting up everything at the vet. I just have to drop him off, and I have all of his medical records. He already came micro-chipped, which is awesome. If you have a dog get it done. I have a well behaved puppy who was either with me or a professional breeder. One note: Some bet stores use puppy mills. Ask for each dogs breeder and check them out on your Smartphone to make sure they're legit. Just because their names are Joseph and Mary Christ doesn't mean they can't lock 14 dogs in a 2 square-foot cage.

A dog is a long time investment. Small dogs especially will last longer than a car, so make sure you have a quality pet. It is important. There are basically three steps: Good bred, good breeder, good training. Pick a good bred to match what you want. For me that was small and social. Make sure it comes from a good breeder. Good genes and a good infancy make a lot of difference. Finally, make sure you personally have time and motivation to be a good trainer for the dog. Most dogs end up in shelters because they weren't well trained. Watching an episode or five of the dog whisperer does not qualify you. Do some research, and make sure to crate train.

I want all dogs to be happy, so if you have any question e-mail me. editor@thenewadultlife.com



No comments:

Post a Comment